Tuesday 15 July 2014

Bardot of Mayfair

No rhyme or reason
Bardot of Mayfair


So why do I make images? More to the point, why do I share images that I create? I could very easily become like Vivian Meir or Gary Winogrand, (and I am sure there are many who are not as well known) with thousands of images unprocessed. This is easy!
 
 

 
 But I will share with anyone who cares to take a moment to look. I will admit that I do share less these days. I have tried to share at least one image per day since I started sharing online. And I still keep true to this, sharing one image per day. But something is changing. I feel I am becoming more critical of my own work. Some days I struggle to see the relevance of a post. I also never repost. That is another constraint I set myself. Once it is out there, I will not succumb to posting it again somewhere else. I post to mainly 3 sites (the Flickr, Goolge+ and FB) and now, here on this blog (were I will post a picture posted somewhere else)
 
I have a nagging feeling that I need to push myself to do something more collective (as a body of work). Over the past few weeks I have noticed my work is becoming a bit directionless. I enjoy being part of sharing communities and I have already learned so much being part of a few. And continue to enjoy the interaction. But I have found how easy it is to get sucked into the maelstrom of being in a community. It is all too easy to slip in that image that you feel (or discover, as I have) is sub-standard. I think my enthusiasm to share sometimes overpowers my sense of 'me' in the piece.
 
I think we should all, from time to time, take a moment to reflect on 'where' we are as an individual. And that is the paradox of sharing. Being true to yourself, and still be active in sharing yourself with a community.
 
Back to no rhyme or reason... I posted this image as a point to illustrate how you have no control of how your work is digested. My 'Bardot of Mayfair' was captured in a micro second of seeing her slide past the person in front of me. I was fortunate to have a camera at the ready. I fired off the shutter in the next half a second that I had. This image was posted on the usual 3 sites. Not much action on 2 of them. However on one site it is one of my most viewed images (over 9500 views) I really like this image, but why is it so popular on one site in the context of all 3 sites. No rhyme or reason...
 
Sorry, about this meander through my thoughts today. It's been very muggy and uncomfortable in London today, and I think my brain is just a bit too mushy to be very coherent.
 
Just a quick thank you for those who are taking the time to read about my meandering thoughts and feelings as my adventure continues down the road of art and creating art. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
 
I can also be found at
http://www.streethunters.net/streethuntersindex/listing/anton-fortein
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Anton, I've enjoyed your writings. I find myself nodding and saying "yes" much of the time, when you discuss your struggles with creativity.
    I've thought a lot about what it means to share online, and a writer friend of mine had some wise words to say. He basically said that sharing online is similar to sharing in a group show, at a gallery. There's not much different, except that sharing online will reach a wider audience. I find that much of my work is of my family, and I choose not to share that work online, so my sharing is limited. I will also have a creative rush, and feel very eager to be part of the g+ community, inevitably followed by a down wave of keeping my work to myself for weeks at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen.
      Sometimes it feels trivial (these struggles we face) but I think it is good to express them and put one's feelings out there in the ether.
      I guess HOW we share these days is just one of the many 'modern' conventions we all have to deal with. It's odd how many of these, almost unspoken, 'conventions' there are. And they seem to generate the most profound, and yet simultaneously, the most esoteric conversation :-)

      Delete